Saturday, February 28, 2015

Darkfever

Darkfever: Karen Marie Moning



I'm a little late to the Darkfever party. It's been out for awhile and I just figure better late than never, right? I love the Sookie Stackhouse novels and it mildly reminded of it, sort of. Ok mostly because the main character was a bartender and just content with her life as it was, you know like Sookie except she was a waitress.


So, Mackayla Lane ("Mac") is our main character. She gets a voicemail message from her sister on her phone saying she has to find this book, but the phone call is pretty incoherent. This is the last she ever hears from her sister because her sister turns up dead in a Dublin alleyway. So obviously she travels to Ireland looking for who .. or what murdered her sister. She gets there and finds out she is a sideseer or can see the Fae, and most of the ones she sees are evil and ugly. But what she also finds out is that she can sense this magical book that she believes she has to find in order to avenge her sister's death.



Mac was kind of immature and annoying in the beginning. She wore a lot of pastel and refused to say curse words. She also seemed to take a lot of shit from bookstore owner/ Fae expert, Jericho Barrons. He basically used her for his personal Fae-object hunter throughout the first book. I feel like he could be her potential love interest in coming books, but there was not much romance in this novel. Hopefully the next book will have some romance… and more about V'lane. V'lane is this Fae royal who can make women take their clothing off just by being in their presence. Mac refers to him as "Death-by-Sex-Fae". Hot, right?




This book made me want to go to Ireland, immediately. Even though I've been to a few countries in Europe, I've never had any interest in Ireland before. The world building was spectacular, I feel like I've been right along side Mac on her journey to Ireland. I can't wait to read the rest of the series, why haven't I read of it till recently?? I give it 5 stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment