Tuesday, April 14, 2015

The Infinite Sea

The Infinite Sea (Fifth Wave #2): Rick Yancey 

How do you rid the Earth of seven billion humans? Rid the humans of their humanity.

Surviving the first four waves was nearly impossible. Now Cassie Sullivan finds herself in a new world, a world in which the fundamental trust that binds us together is gone. As the 5th Wave rolls across the landscape, Cassie, Ben, and Ringer are forced to confront the Others’ ultimate goal: the extermination of the human race.

Cassie and her friends haven’t seen the depths to which the Others will sink, nor have the Others seen the heights to which humanity will rise, in the ultimate battle between life and death, hope and despair, love and hate.


I didn't like this book as much as I liked the first book. I mean I really loved the first book, so it would be hard for it to measure up to it. The first 2/3 of the book was great. The differing points of view in small doses was something I really liked in the first book, and the beginning didn't disappoint in that aspect. There was a lot of action, a little romance, and some closure between some of the characters. It was very promising. Cassie is still my favorite character. She is strong and becoming stronger by every page of the book I read. She's also headstrong and tries not to take shit from anyone, but people still try to push her around because they perceive her as weak. I think there is a tie for my second favorite characters with Evan and Ben. They both have different traits that I like and I think they really show more of themselves in this book. 

"That’s the cost. That’s the price. Get ready, because when you crush the humanity out of humans, you’re left with humans with no humanity"

I feel like this book raised more questions than it answered, and not in a good plot twist way. It was like in a "hold up this isn't making any sense" kind of way. So, the plot in the last third of the book was completely confusing. It was insinuating that all of these important questions are about to be answered and the answers are right in front of you …. but they're not. I was also very disappointed for the amount of time Ringer's point of view took up. She's not a poorly written character by any means, I just don't like her. I even tried really hard to like her. I missed Cassie when Ringer was sulking about her life. I feel like since the first book mostly revolved around Cassie, Evan, and Ben maybe this one should too. It would have been nice to see Ringer's point of view in a novella of sorts, but not like this. 




“When you look death in the eye and death blinks first, nothing seems impossible.”

I'm hoping Rick Yancey decides to go back to short installments of multiple points of view like in the first novel. Despite the last third of the novel, I still enjoyed the book and I am looking forward to the final installment of The Fifth Wave, The Last star coming out in September. I give the Infinite Sea a generous 4 stars for the first 2/3 of the book! 



6 comments:

  1. I read this book awhile back, and in my opinion, I wasn't happy. Wait. YOU DON'T LIKE RINGER? I actually forgot who the characters from the last book were, and was super confused. But still. RINGER. I understand she was sulky, I really do. If you want to see my review for this one (it was 4 stars out of 10!) Here it is.
    http://books4ev.blogspot.com/2015/01/the-infinite-sea-rick-yancey.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just checked out your review and commented on it! :) I was definitely confused to whole time too. I felt like once the aliens were real and then next they were not real and then they were real again like what was even going on. I was just as confused as when it started. Maybe I just liked Cassie so much more!

      Delete
  2. So glad to hear that you liked this one. I've read the first one, which I LOVED... and I have this one but haven't read it yet. I was really hoping it would turn out just as good as the first. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it's definitely not as good as the first! But it's not totally awful, I'm hoping the third gets better!

      Delete
  3. I'm so excited to read this! Well, the first one at least! (: I hope I love it as much as you did!!


    Pearl @ AsteriskPearl's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you will! :) Especially because you liked Angelfall - not that it's about angels or anything but it has the same general idea of world destruction and a little romance!

      Delete