Monday, July 27, 2015

Book Review: The Witch Hunter (The Witch Hunter, #1)

The Witch Hunter (The Witch Hunter, #1): Virginia Boecker 

Your greatest enemy isn't what you fight, but what you fear.

Elizabeth Grey is one of the king's best witch hunters, devoted to rooting out witchcraft and doling out justice. But when she's accused of being a witch herself, Elizabeth is arrested and sentenced to burn at the stake.

Salvation comes from a man she thought was her enemy. Nicholas Perevil, the most powerful and dangerous wizard in the kingdom, offers her a deal: he will save her from execution if she can break the deadly curse that's been laid upon him.

But Nicholas and his followers know nothing of Elizabeth's witch hunting past--if they find out, the stake will be the least of her worries. And as she's thrust into the magical world of witches, ghosts, pirates, and one all-too-handsome healer, Elizabeth is forced to redefine her ideas of right and wrong, of friends and enemies, and of love and hate.


I was really excited to read this one because witches have always been something that interested me. I think I've been interested in them since I read The Witch of Blackbird Pond in middle school, lol. The book was ok, but it isn't a new favorite of mine. I started reading this book in May I believe, and I just finished it recently. I did put it down for a month, so I wasn't actively trying to read it everyday. I was almost going to DNF it, but I'm glad I stuck with it because it did turn out better in the end.  

The first half of the book was just really boring to me. It was a lot of information and I was having trouble keeping track of the new characters she meets after she was charged with being a witch. They kind of all mushed together for awhile, there was no distinguishing feature that set them apart. Around halfway is when I started to be able to know who was who by their characteristics and mannerisms. After getting to know the supporting cast, they really were an amazing bunch. My favorite is Fifer, who hated Elizabeth from the first time she met her lol. Fifer was a brat and I loved her. Elizabeth on the other hand was kind of bland and lackluster. She definitely didn't stand out in any way to me. 



"I'm quiet for a moment, enchanted by the idea of something stealing over you, settling
 into you, and telling you, with absolute certainty, who you are and what you're meant to do."

Elizabeth fought as a witch hunter alongside her childhood friend, Caleb. I continued to really like Caleb throughout the story, even though I think the plot wanted to turn him off to readers. I think that the author made Caleb too desirable in the beginning and there was no point throughout the story that really made me hate him. I liked Caleb better than the romance that ended up blooming with Elizabeth throughout the story. So, I really wasn't a fan of the romance. Actually, I think my favorite romance was Fifer's romance! Can there be a book about Fifer? 

The plot had a nice premise, but I was expecting more. While it was very well written, the plot was very sporadic. There were only a few scenes with action and the rest of the time it was very predictable. While I wasn't impressed with this one, I will probably continue with the series. The supporting cast has enough power to carry the weight of the book, so I will be continuing just for them! I definitely think this one is worth the read for you fantasy fans. There wasn't any big plot twist at the end - but I'll keep any eye out for the next book. 


- Jocelyn

No comments:

Post a Comment