Monday, March 7, 2016

ARC Review: Dreamology

About The Book:
  
  Title: Dreamology
  Author: Lucy Keating
  Pub. Date: April 12th, 2016
  Publisher: Harper Teen
  Pages: 336 pages
  Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary, Romance
  Rate: 2/5 stars





Synopsis :

For as long as Alice can remember, she has dreamed of Max. Together they have traveled the world and fallen deliriously, hopelessly in love. Max is the boy of her dreams—and only her dreams. Because he doesn’t exist.

But when Alice walks into class on her first day at a new school, there he is. It turns out, though, that Real Max is nothing like Dream Max, and getting to know each other in reality isn’t as perfect as Alice always hoped.

When their dreams start to bleed dangerously into their waking hours, the pair realize that they might have to put an end to a lifetime of dreaming about each other. But when you fall in love in your dreams, can reality ever be enough?
Review:


I definitely feel like I'm the black sheep with this book. I initially chose this book because I heard so many people were loving it and I really wanted to read a book that blew me out of the park because I was picking up some pretty meh books lately. However, I didn't end up liking it as much I was hoping... 

The characters were just alright to me, very generic. Max was your typical apathetic love interest that seemed like he didn't care but Alice could definitely tell that deep down he really, really cares. Meanwhile, Alice had a knack of being extremely annoying for the entire book. She wasn't ever really funny, she wasn't ever too nice, there was nothing too spectacular about her, she was just kind of there. The biggest reason that I didn't like this book was that when their dreams were I guess leaking into reality they were just like ohhhh yeah look at that.. These are symptoms of schizophrenia people!! These kids are in psychology class and if Max is as smart as he supposedly is then they should know that and should be a little worried!! I just don't feel comfortable shrugging off these possible delusions. There are lines between contemporary, fantasy, science fiction, and urban fantasy novels. In this book, it is contemporary. It's not science fiction or any of the above. This felt like a play on mental illness, and while I don't think it was intentional - I still don't like it. 

All in all, I was pretty disappointed in Dreamology. I know a lot of other bloggers that liked it so if you think that this is a book that might interest you then I still encourage you to give it a try, but this book just did not click with me. It was a good idea and it had it's good moments, but the romance just started to bore me after the first 100 pages and I found myself wanting to put this book down more than I wanted to pick it up. 



- Jocelyn 

1 comment:

  1. I'm actually currently reading this and enjoying it for the most part. I'm only about 40% in but I don't see it going past three stars at this point. We'll see. Too bad you didn't like this one, but, hey, at least it's over?! Lol.

    ReplyDelete