Friday, September 15, 2017

Book Review: Submerge (Mer Chronicles #2)

Submerge (Mer Chronicles #2)About the Book:
Title: Submerge (Mer Chronicles #2)
Author: Tobie Easton
Pub. Date: Sept. 14, 2017
Publisher: Month9Books

Pages: 300
Rating: 4/5 stars

Synopsis:

Now that Lia and Clay’s love has broken the Little Mermaid’s curse, everything has changed. Will Lia’s family remain on land, leading the only life she and her sisters have ever known, or will they move below the waves, to the sparkling new capital city? Lia is adamant about staying on land with Clay for her senior year. But at Melusine and her father’s trial, new revelations threaten what Lia holds most dear.

The verdict will shake Lia’s whole world, calling into question her future with Clay, her feelings for Caspian, and the fate of all Merkind. As she wonders who to trust, Lia sets out on a treacherous path that will lead her away from her sheltered Malibu home to a remote and mysterious school for Mermaids—Mermaids who may hold the secret to ancient magic Lia can use to either get back all she’s lost or to embark on a thrilling and dangerous journey.
 

Review:

Although I had some mixed feelings about Tobie Easton's first novel, Emerge, I still greatly enjoyed the book and was very excited when I had the opportunity to read an ARC of its sequel. And let me tell you, this book blew me away! From the start, I was plunged right back into the Lia's world full of mermaids and romance. I always thought Ms. Easton was a gifted storyteller, but this book took her writing to another level. A lot of problems I had from the first book were remedied in Submerge, and this was something that I appreciated as it made me love the book so much more.

Submerge picks up right where the first book ended. The trial is about to start, Clay and Lia are still discovering and building upon their relationship, and the entire mermaid race is thrilled with the return of their immortality. However, just as things are looking up for all of our characters, things take a surprising turn that causes devastating effects for certain people. The book is fast-paced, and although it is longer than the first in the series, the story never lagged for me. I honestly didn't even realize that the book was close to 400 pages because I wanted to keep reading!! Ms. Easton expands a lot on the world-building in this novel and this was something that I appreciated. We are able to see and explore much more of the Mer world, and we learn more about Lia's culture. This was honestly one of my favorite aspects of the entire book. 

Lia's character still felt a little young at times, but this was mostly in the beginning. She matured a great deal over the course of the story, and her characterization was excellently written. My heart truly broke for her at several points in the story because I honestly wanted her to just be happy. Lia is a very relatable and fun character, and I think a lot of readers will love seeing her growth throughout this book. Clay and Lia together were the epitome of young love. I definitely could see how much they cared for each other in this story, and again this was a nice change from the first book for me. They go to great lengths to find their way back to each other after something HUGE happens in the beginning and I loved their reunion. There are also several new characters that are introduced, and they are very well fleshed out during the novel. They served as a great transition from the human world to the Mer world, and it made the story a bit more fun!

There are definitely some huge twists in this book that I never saw coming! I did think the one character was up to something all along, but I definitely didn't expect that character to be cooking up something so major!! The entire climax and conclusion of this story were utterly fantastic and Ms. Easton's writing was at its finest. And then of course, she has to leave us with a bit of a cliffhanger. It's not really a cliffhanger in the traditional sense; it's more of a shocking statement that leaves me very very eager for the next book.

I would highly recommend checking Tobie Easton's sequel in the Mer Chronicles if you were a fan of the first book. With more world building and more mature characters, this book offered several improvements from the first book that made the story even more enjoyable. It's definitely still YA, but will appeal to a wide variety of readers. With so many exciting twists and turns throughout the story, I can't wait to see what Ms. Easton has in store for us in the next installment!


Happy reading :) 

Thank you to Month9Books for the advanced copy!

~Cassie

No comments:

Post a Comment