Tuesday, December 19, 2017

Book Review: The Battlemage (Summoner #3)

The Battlemage by Taran MatharuAbout the Book:
Title: The Battlemage (Summoner #3)
Author: Taran Matharu
Pub. Date: May 2, 2017
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends
Pages: 385
Rating:  5/5 stars

Synopsis:

The epic conclusion to the New York Times–bestselling Summoner trilogy, by Taran Matharu!
Fletcher and his friends fight for survival in the ether, where they pursue a mortally dangerous quest to rebuild their world and broker peace.
Even as hatred threatens to turn friend into foe in The Battlemage, Fletcher must lead a small army of soldiers into battle to protect his ancestral homeland, and face his biggest challenge yet: his nemesis, the albino orc, Khan, who seeks to destroy everything Fletcher holds dear.


Review:

Taran Matharu has done it again, and has delivered one of the best conclusions to a trilogy I have ever read. This series is greatly underappreciated and I truly believe it deserves a heck of a lot more attention than it has. The Summoner series is such an epic fantasy series that is incredibly well written, with likable characters, and non-stop action. I said in my review for the first book that it is the perfect mix of Harry Potter, LoTR, and Pokemon...and that's no exception here. I think it's amazing how well Taran has managed to combine all of the positives of these series into such a unique and wonderful fantasy series. He has such a great talent and I know that he is going to be an important and big part of the literary world. I can't stress enough how much you should read this series because it is that good.

Fletcher has come a long way from the first book. No longer is he the young, naive boy...instead he is a strong warrior that is willing to sacrifice his own life to fight and protect his people (just fyi...I'm not trying to imply Fletcher dies or anything by that statement). His character development over the course of this series has been magnificent and it's rare to see characterization done this well. Fletcher is so likable, and no matter what he decides, you're on his side. Taran Matharu has written Fletcher so well and has stayed true to Fletcher's morals and values. While Fletcher is different, he's still Fletcher at the end of the day. And that's something that is very important to me as a reader. He shines throughout the story and I honestly couldn't wait to see how his story would end. The other characters in this book are just as amazing, and I love how important they all are to the finale. I appreciated that these characters weren't just shoved to the side and didn't play any role at all in this book. Ultimately though, this is Fletcher's story, and I loved the way it played out.

One of the biggest things for me in this book and the series in general is that Taran Matharu made me enjoy the political side of this story....and trust me that is a rare feat to be accomplished. I usually hate the political side of stories because it oftentimes becomes messy, especially in fantasy stories such as this one. But Taran made me find it fascinating and interesting. The magic/demon system in place in this world just blows my mind with it's creativity and I loved how well-balanced everything is. It just futher lends to Taran's writing ability that he can write such a well-balanced story that keeps you intrigued until the end.

When I look back, I never expected this series to become such an epic and rich fantasy story. To see how far we've come in this world--from a boy that was special and just wanted to go to school where he belonged, to a fierce warrior who will fight and stand with his people to the very end--is mind-blowing and utterly incredible. Obviously, as this is the conclusion of the story, there is a bit of heartbreak...but I expected it. After all, you can't have a war without a few tragedies.

I cannot even begin to emphasize enough how much I want you to read this series. Give this series the spotlight it deserves because it is such an amazing and well-written set of novels. Taran Matharu has an fantastic imagination that allows him to create unique and fun worlds for all age readers to enjoy. If you are a fantasy novel fan, check this series out. I know for a fact that this series will be a favorite of mine for a long time to come, and I can't wait to do a re-read. I would adore more stories in the future about where these characters are (I honestly don't want to let go of them yet!!), but for now, I'm glad we'll be getting a prequel and seeing how things were before Fletcher came onto the scene. 


Happy reading :)


~Cassie

No comments:

Post a Comment